Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chang's Traditional Hornbill Tattoo

For my first tattoo, I wanted something that can remind me to stay positive and never give up easily in whatever I do…




Robin drawing out the tattoo and preparing Chang's leg


Since I had decided to get an iban traditional tattoo, I felt the hornbill was the perfect choice for what I wanted.




The Ibans believe the hornbill or kenyalang is a messenger of the war god and is believed to provide protection against the intrusion of evil spirits living in the jungle.



Ernesto assessing his 'prey' :p


I decided to get it done traditionally cos i heard that the ink lasts longer and it supposedly has a better, more authentic look to it. Plus....less painful la :)


The tattoo artist was Ernesto Kalum. In my opinion, Ernesto is the man la.. i consider him a legend la coz he got to jam with Noel Redding (Jimi Hendrix's bassist)!!! [Chang is obsessed with guitars].


As for the tattooing, he did an excellent job and he made the experience absolutely fun! Really cool dude!


The tattooing itself was a lot less painful than i initially thought it would be. Already planning for my next tattoo which would be on my rib cage...


The finished design

A big thank you to Prem. He bet with me that i wouldn't dare to get it done....guess who ended-up sponsoring my tattoo? Heh heh heh


Chang with his Hornbill tatt

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where is the artist location?

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Ninja said...

Brandon : It really is!

Anon1 : He is in kuching sarawak...just near hilton

Anon2 : Thank you

Anonymous said...

I must digg your article therefore more people are able to see it, very helpful, I had a hard time finding the results searching on the web, thanks.

- Murk

Ninja said...

Thanks a lot and thanks for dropping by :)